We believe that any conversation regarding natural resources in Canada needs to be collaborative in nature, inclusive of all Canadian stakeholders and founded with the understanding that the future of natural resource development depends on sustainable development. This need for diplomacy hinges on finding a balance between economic growth, protecting the environment and providing for a secure and positive quality of life for Canadians and global citizens.
In 2017, The New Diplomacy for Natural Resources will be held in:
- Sudbury, Ontario
- Vancouver, British Columbia
- Montréal, Québec
- Calgary, Alberta
Join the conversation on natural resources in Canada!
UNA-Canada has combined successful empathy-based learning approach with a business school case competition to create The New Diplomacy of Natural Resources forum. The New Diplomacy aim is to convene the best and brightest graduate scholars and young professionals with leaders from the private sector, NGOs, aboriginal peoples and groups, and government.
*CALL FOR PAPERS*
On May 11th, 2016, the 8th Forum of The New Diplomacy of Natural Resources unanimously adopted a resolution that highlighted the following key aspects of environmental sustainability within the natural resources industry in Canada;
- Equally collaborative efforts from all stakeholders (government, industry, First Nations, and academia) that lead innovative technological solutions for green energy solutions;
- Environmental impact assessments that are relevant to the region over the long term
- The establishment of a governing committee that will set terms and establish guidelines with representation from all stakeholders;
- Collaborative involvement among all levels of government, industry and northern communities for development of required infrastructure, by suggesting cost sharing of infrastructure and transportation development;
- Appeals to the mining industry to be more proactive and develop clear lines of communication with First Nations communities;
- Highlights that health and knowledge building is important for the overall well-being of individuals living in Northern Ontario.
The ‘Call for Papers’ is for The New Diplomacy of Natural Resources Background Guide authors. The selected authors will be chosen based on the most comprehensive, well written, content-based paper.
The selected authors will be the official expert-researchers of the conferences taking place in Fall 2017 (Sudbury, Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary), and will be published by the UN Association in Canada.
The topic of the paper should be related to the extraction of natural resources in Canada. Papers should highlight emergent academic issues within the Canadian extraction and mining industry, and should discuss the best solution-based decisions that pertain to natural resource extraction. All papers will be reviewed by UNA-Canada staff.
DEADLINE: July 16th, 2017 by 11:59 pm EST
To APPLY, visit: New Diplomacy of Natural Resources: Call for Papers
Come and participate in The New Diplomacy of Natural Resources Conference hosted by UNAC in 2017!